Thursday, November 23, 2006

Phone call to the Minister for Housing and Planning

I got a sore throat yesterday evening and spent all night sweating in my sleeping bag. I wanted to take off my coat, but feared I would fall asleep and get a chill. So the only luxury I gave myself was to put my left arm outside the sleeping bag, which felt much better.

It doesn't help that the food we eat is really unhealthy. There is no fruit or vegetables – just saturated fats. In the Whitechapel Mission, you pay 45p for a made-up breakfast of baked beans, two sausages, two fried eggs and two slices of toasted white bread; there's also any amount of coffee or tea for free (a big plus). I wasn't shocked to learn that the life expectancy of a homeless person is 44 years.

Food from the Dellow Centre is far worse. Their staple diet these days is a plastic cup of cheap orange juice, some cereal (cornflakes, wheatabix or maybe porridge), a cup of soup (if we're lucky), up to four slices of toasted white bread, and a maximum of two cups of coffee or tea; there's also a white bread cheese sandwich "for later". Three weeks ago there was some variety - maybe a bowl of fruit, some tomatoes, a Marks and Spencers treat, a chicken sandwich, or whatever - but not any longer.

To save money I was keeping my sandwich and Declan's sandwich for my dinner, together with a banana or other fruit that Declan would buy in Sainsburys. I'm not hungry by lunchtime, so all I would have mid-afternoon is a banana and a couple of donuts (they're cheap at 12p each). I'm getting so sick of the cheese sandwiches that a couple of nights ago it took me 45 minutes to eat one - all the way from the library to where we bed down at night. Last night Declan insisted that I throw the sandwiches in a bin and eat half of his dinner (a large roll with cheap sardines), which I gladly did because I was so hungry.

This morning in the Dellow I didn't bother with their takeaway cheese sandwich. I can't even eat their white bread toasted anymore. While I was in the queue for breakfast, the guy in front of me was given two pieces of chicken. When I asked for some chicken too, I was told he had gotten the last piece. The Dellow is hardly worth the effort - sometimes queuing for over twenty minutes to get in at 9am - when we could be in the Whitechapel Mission until 11.00am and then cross the road and walk straight into the library.

Declan and I used to spend a couple of hours in Crisis, a non-religious organisation for the homeless. We would have access to a computer, the internet for one hour, and free prints. Declan printed our blog there but since the printer stopped functioning (at least, that is what we were told) and we discovered that they are all rapt up in the Dellow Centre, we don't bother going there anymore. We now spend all our time in the library, from 12.30pm to 8.30pm. I love to read when I'm not on a computer, so I'm quite happy with this new arrangement. We also use the library to work on my blog. I need Declan to correct my English because I'm Spanish (from Madrid) and my written English leaves a lot to be desired.

Today in the Whitechapel Mission Declan was given a plastic bag with some clothes for me – two pairs of jeans, a belt and a pair of gloves. I had to return both pairs of jeans because neither fitted. Declan is tired of this cat and mouse game and has given me money to buy a second-hand pair of jeans in a charity shop. Hopefully, there's one within walking distance for us.

Personally, I think it's outrageous that I have to spend money we don't have on a pair of jeans when the Whitechapel Mission boasts on their website that they "offer the largest clothing store in London available to the homeless". It's not like I'm looking for a perfect fit!

St Mungo's Contact and Assessment Team (CAT) hasn't visited us at night either; and this despite the fact that Declan has spoken to the PA to St Mungo's CEO Charles Fraser. According to their annual review, St Mungo's had a turnover of £37.2m last year. The Sisters of Mercy-run Dellow Centre doesn't publish financial information on their website; but, with a patron like the Duke of Norfolk and well-known donors such as L'Oreal, Marks and Spencers and Lush, no doubt they have quite a healthy turnover too. Surely they could offer us homeless better food.

More important from our point of view is St Mungo's and its statutory partners, one of which is the Department for Work and Pensions. It was the DWP that made us homeless. They also name the Metropolitan Police as a statutory partner. It's no wonder we can't get this charity to give us the referral we need to get into a night shelter.

This morning Declan phoned the Department for Communities and Local Government to complain about St Mungo's. Initially, he was told that he needed to deal with Tower Hamlets Council. However, he spoke with Angela Grazette, Private Secretary to Tower Hamlets Council Leader Cllr Denise Jones. This afternoon Grazette phoned Declan back to inform him that his complaint against St Mungo's does not fall within the remit of the Council, and that he should direct the complaint back to the Department for Communities and Local Government, and the office of the Minister for Housing and Planning in particular. Declan then spoke to Christine Adeyoola, Assistant Private Secretary to Minister for Housing and Planning Yvette Cooper.

Adeyoola told him to put his complaint in writing to the Minister.