Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Sleeping in the park

12.00pm. We have just left the Dellow Centre. We had showers and did our laundry. I almost felt like a normal human being.

I am sitting on a park bench. No sun! My shoes are off because my feet are getting sore with all the walking we are doing. Declan is lying on another bench across the way. He is using his sleeping bag as a pillow. I know that everybody who passes him knows he is homeless. No person with a home lies down on a park bench to sleep. People give him a quick glance as they pass him.

I pretend that he is somebody else. I look at him again. All I see is his isolation and bottomless loneliness. I hope that some day when we get out of this situation (not of our making), I will not pass a homeless person without a feeling of solidarity. But what can you do? A pound here and there doesn't rescue a homeless person from their isolation and loneliness.

Perhaps the best thing to do is give a bit of money to an organisation. For me, though, religious organisations don't cut it. If I could find a secular organisation that runs a day centre, for example, I would definitely support an organisation like that. However, I'm not sure that such an organisation even exists. I would want to help break the isolation and loneliness of a homeless person.