Sunday, November 05, 2006

Surviving

Cold again. Declan doesn't have a military sleeping bag like mine and woke up at 3.30am, freezing and unable to get back to sleep. I, on the other hand, was (relatively) comfortable and warm. I could have slept until 5.00am. To sleep, I now get into the sleeping bag wearing double socks, cheap thermal long johns, all my clothes, coat, cap and gloves. I find it quite reassuring that we are quickly adapting to the elements. Declan must get a military sleeping bag, though. Also, we must decide what to do when the weather gets colder or it starts raining. Declan must avoid pneumonia at all costs. I should mention that no Contact and Assessment Team (CAT) came by. Also no police car!

As we made our way to the Whitechapel Mission yesterday, I found myself measuring places against each other as to which one would be the warmer inside. My favourite is the London Muslim Centre ... so big, new, empty and bright in the early hours of the morning.

I am now sitting in my sleeping bag on cardboard Declan got nearby, writing this blog and waiting to make our way to the Mission, which opens at 6.00am. Declan is fast asleep in my sleeping bag. There are some rough sleepers (Poles) bedded down around the corner. There seems to be quite a number of Eastern Europeans living on the streets. This government is very keen to have cheap labour from Eastern Europe but these people have few rights (if any) and often find themselves laid off by their employers.

Finding free food during the weekend hasn't turned out to be a walk in the park. Few day centres are open, and those that are open are too far away. Yesterday we walked all the way to London Bridge to get some free lunch before 1.30pm; which turned out to be some mash potatoes, mash meat and beans. There and back we must have walked three hours with our rucksacks and sleeping bags. It was hardly worth it. We were not in the mood to walk later in the afternoon an even longer distance to get some sandwiches for the night. Instead, we went to the library. We bought a roll, a tin of sardines and two bananas in Sainsbury's for a night meal, which we ate nearby.

Having uploaded our blog post in an internet café, we were back at our patch by 11.00pm with nothing to do except protect ourselves against the wind and cold. Being rough sleepers makes everything a lot harder because we are constantly walking from one place to another with everything we own, being challenged by the elements. We're not at all surprised rough sleepers are generally so worn out and sick. I have to stop myself thinking about it when I pass an empty public building. Anything is better than the open cold and concrete.