Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Arrest is inevitable

Yesterday morning at 7.00am I had to beg in Liverpool Street Station (see previous blog), so that Declan and I could buy a few Big Issue magazines – sold by homeless people throughout the UK. I wasn’t stopped by police (begging is illegal in England) and by 8.15am I had been given enough money to be able to afford several Big Issues. Nevertheless, I had to go back to the station early in the afternoon after neither Declan nor I sold anything during lunch – those who pass by our pitches are mostly city workers from the finance and banking industry.

In the evening Declan’s pitch was again taken over, this time by a street distributor of a free edition of The Times newspaper. A Times distributor also did his best to put me out of business when he began passing his papers almost beside me. At 6.30pm I left him by my pitch and again went to the train station to beg – after standing in my pitch, in the rain, for well over two hours, all I sold were two Big Issues.

It really is inevitable that I am going to be arrested, having been issued two tickets last week for begging. Declan and I are in fact resigned to it. We are already living in extreme poverty – I am actually lucky I didn’t fall ill last night sleeping in a wet coat – and it now only takes a rainy day or a street distributor to send me to the train station to beg. (As result of the problems last week with street distributors of London Lite and ShortList, over the weekend we didn’t have the money to buy food, nor the fare to take a bus to the West End where we might have availed of a soup run, resulting in both of us starving and feeling overall very weak.)

We also have little doubt that eventually I will have to do prison time, perhaps sooner than later. Still, I prefer being the one that is doing the begging because I believe Declan is better equipped to survive the street alone – although for how long it will prove possible for him to do so is anyone’s guess.

For the record, this is the email that Declan sent this afternoon to the executive chairman of Rupert Murdoch’s London-based News International, which owns several newspapers, including The Times:

Subject: The Times

Dear Mr Hinton,

I refer further to my letter and enclosure to you of 31 July 2007, a copy of which I sent by fax and registered post to the Chairman & CEO of News Corporation, Mr Rupert Murdoch, and wish to confirm the takeover yesterday afternoon of my Big Issue pitch outside McDonald's on Liverpool Street by The Times.

I can also reconfirm in respect of my numerous complaints to you on this issue that I am in receipt of a letter of 10 September from Dr John Bird, Founder and Editor-In-Chief of The Big Issue, stating:


I have employed many people over the years to do jobs related to the running of The Big Issue. I have never employed them to do my job; likewise I do not do their job. Please bear this in mind when you are composing your letters. You do not need to address your letters to me, as it is not my job. I would only get involved if you were utterly and totally let down by those whose job it is in The Big Issue. I hope this assists in your deliberations in pursuit of your claims.


Yours sincerely,
Declan Heavey
BI badge no. 1163

cc  Trevor Jones, Circulation Manager, The Times
      Paul Joseph, Outreach Manager, The Big Issue