Thursday, November 30, 2006

Idea Store Whitechapel library and the booking of computers

Last night Declan and I were visited for the third time by our St Mungo's CAT – the first time was on 7 November and the second the following night. They only stayed for a few minutes. They wanted to inform us that they didn't have a night shelter to refer us to, but that they would drop in on us again when they have something. We have been sleeping rough since we arrived in London on 3 November. We are carrying everything we own, including documentation. And we still have another 11 days to go to our High Court hearing on 11 December.

So after speaking to the PA to the CEO of St Mungo's, the Private Secretary to the Leader of Tower Hamlets Council, the Assistant Private Secretary to the Minister for Housing and Planning (having emailed the Minister for Housing and Planning), and having emailed Prime Minister Tony Blair – all in relation to the dereliction of duty of care on the part of St Mungo's – what you get is ... nothing. It seems to me that St Mungo's, despite its turnover of £37.2m in 2005, is a pawn in a game of chess being played by the Metropolitan Police – the end-game being to stop us running a network of those abused by church.

Yesterday was women's clothes day in the Whitechapel Mission. At 7.30am I asked a member of staff for some items of clothing. I actually passed him a written list, which included a small description of each item since they don't allow me to see the clothes. By 9.00am they hadn't given me anything and because we had to leave for the Dellow Centre, Declan told the member of staff that we would collect the clothes this morning. The clothes I need are all necessities for rough sleeping, such as a thick jumper, woollen stocks and hat, thermal long john pants and long-sleeved vest, etc. The last two nights have been particularly cold.

I wasn't really expecting much, especially since I had been trying to get a pair of jeans off them for over two weeks and got nothing except two pairs that I had to return because they fit so badly. I wasn't mistaken. I asked for a hooded dark coloured jumper and got literally the opposite. The cap they gave me you would put in a bin if you saw it on top of a chair in a library; somebody must have been in stitches when it was put in the bag. I also got two pairs of woollen socks, thermal long john pants (but not the thermal long-sleeved vest), and 65p Tesco underwear. So much for the Whitechapel Mission offering "the largest clothing store in London available to the homeless". At least I have resolved the problem of my legs being cold at night!

Going to the Dellow Centre has become a bit of a nonsense for me, which is why this morning Declan went alone. I went to the library instead. We walk 20 minutes from the Whitechapel Mission to the Dellow Centre, carrying all our belongings with us. Once at the gate we have to wait for 20 minutes in the cold, and more often than not in the rain as well. Each person in the queue must speak his/her name into the intercom at the front gate, and be registered, to gain entry. At reception, you get a number which you present at the kitchen counter in exchange for a tray and what's on offer. Lately the only thing I have been getting out of it is a soup and a shower – the latter I can get at the Whitechapel Mission. Hardly worth my while.

Things in the library, Idea Store Whitechapel, are starting to heat up. For the last three weeks I have been able to book computers at will with my membership card. There is of course the odd mistake here and there – a lost hour because the member of staff forgot to save the hour I had been given, wrong computer number, etc. Yesterday I was told that the maximum time allowed on a computer is three hours a day. Declan immediately got the name of the manager, and his email address off another member of staff. Today I have booked computers for a total of 8 1/2 hours, although a member of staff had earlier told me I could only do so for a total of six hours. With the library seemingly making up policies in relation to us, Declan emailed the manager this evening.

Dear Mr. Abidin,

Further to our brief talk this evening, I reconfirm that for the past three weeks my wife has been booking access to computers in Idea Store Whitechapel without restriction save yesterday when she was told by a member of staff that she could only do so for a maximum of 3 hours a day. Today she has booked access to computers for a total of 8 1/2 hours, although a member of staff told her she could only do so for a maximum of 6 hours a day.

I would greatly appreciate if you could furnish me with a response that my wife could use in the event of further difficulty.

Yours sincerely,
Declan Heavey