Monday, April 16, 2007

Letter to the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis

At 7.00am this morning, while I was having my first shower since last Friday (when Declan and I were denied access to services in the Sisters of Mercy-run Dellow Centre, see previous blog), Declan narrowly escaped a serious assault in the canteen area of the Methodist-run Whitechapel Mission.

The homeless guy that wanted to assault Declan was, er, a friend of Ali, the homeless guy who twice punched Declan in the face on 17 February, also in the Whitechapel Mission’s canteen area – an attack the Metropolitan Police are refusing to investigate, despite that it was totally unprovoked and eventually stopped by one of the floor staff. The mission is fast becoming a place of safety hazards; only yesterday morning I was seriously harassed in the women’s washroom (see the end of previous blog).

These two homeless are not just friends, but must be quite good friends because a few minutes before the attempted assault by this homeless guy, Ali’s girlfriend was happily chatting with him.

The scenario was not unsimilar to the last time: homeless guy wants to sit at our table, not in the seat available, but in my seat, which Declan is protecting with his rucksack; he insists on my seat and starts untying the rucksack; Declan grabs the rucksack, unties it himself and surrenders my seat to this choosy guy; the homeless, now sitting in my seat, is not apparently content with his victory and calls Declan gay, a c*** , and a lot more besides; finally, when Declan has had enough and stands up to untie our bags and leave, this guy also stands, and comes at Declan with every intention of throwing a punch.

After the assault by Ali, Declan is fast enough to avoid being trapped by grabbing the lose rucksack, moving away from the table and shouting for floor staff to come to allow him to leave in safety (he still had to untie our remaining bags from under his chair). Did he get much help from staff? Not really. Apparently it was his fault for not wanting to talk with the homeless that frequent the establishment! We must look like we came down in the last shower of rain.

Because Declan is very concerned that avoiding assault is now going to be his daily diet while frequenting the mission – where we arrive every morning at 6.00am (opening time) to wash – he took me straight to Bethnal Green Police Station to get a progress report on the case against Ali. There is no progress at all, Declan was informed.

Well, that was so reassuring that when the police officer gave Declan his notepad to initial the officer’s entry that Declan did not wish to take this morning’s incident further, Declan first wrote: “I am happy to pursue my case as it stands. No contact was made. All is on CCTV.”

This afternoon Declan sent a registered letter to the most senior police officer in the country, the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis, Sir Ian Blair with a serious complaint. The question now is: will Declan end up in hospital before he lodges his case against the UK in the European Court of Human Rights by introductory letter? They would have to have me seriously assaulted also; because as a relative I can not only put the finishing touches to this introductory letter, but lodge it.

This is the letter to Borough Commander, Chief Superintendent Mark Simmons that Declan enclosed with his letter to Sir Ian (“chronology” can be found in this blog):


Dear Chief Superintendent Simmons

Re:   Crime ref: 4204886/07

I refer to the enclosed copy of letter to me of 29 March 2007 from PC Katherine Jones of Bethnal Green Police Station with copy of my letter and enclosures of 26 March 2007 to DC Alexander Head of your Beat Crime Unit, to which PC Jones refers.

I note that PC Jones states:


I acknowledge your letter regarding Crime ref: 4204886/07, which was received on 29th March 2007. This has been referred to DC Head who will be responding to your letter as soon as possible.

In reference to chronology in relation to my efforts to 26 March 2007 to have my statement taken in respect of the assault on me in the Whitechapel Mission on 17 February 2007, I wish to confirm that I have yet to hear back from DC Head or anyone on his behalf.

Yours sincerely

Declan Heavey

cc   Sir Ian Blair, Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis (by registered post – together with enclosures herein referred to)

No comments: