Thursday, November 15, 2007

Tomorrow I may be arrested

This morning my Big Issue pitch (from which I sell The Big Issue, a magazine sold by homeless throughout the UK) was taken over by a street distributor of the free ShortList magazine. When I informed this guy that he is standing in my pitch of one year – he was one of the two ShortList distributors that put me out of business last Thursday – he looks at me like he wants me to define the word "pitch". Eventually he moves away, but no more than a metre and a half, pinning me up against a railing, and yes, the whole road free for him to go. (As a Big Issue vendor, I have a registered pitch and cannot move freely.)

Unsurprisingly, I sold nothing. Declan also sold nothing and we were faced with the daunting choice of me going back into the train station to beg or starve for the day, albeit the meagre breakfast the Sisters of Mercy-run Dellow Centre provides Monday to Friday: a bowl of cereal and up to a maximum of three toast (for which you have to queue outside the front gate for anything up to 40 minutes). The train station was a bit tricky, since yesterday morning two police officers ticketed me for the second time in two days for begging. This time I wasn't called "scum of the earth", but was told that the next time I am caught begging, I will be arrested or given a fine of £80, which, if I refuse to pay, will land me in prison.

I am under no illusion whatsoever that this morning I avoided being arrested. So Declan and I are braced for another day of hunger, but tomorrow morning if we don't sell Big Issues – and it sure looks like we won't – I will have no choice but to go into the train station and beg because unfortunately there is no homeless centre open during the weekend and we have no money whatsoever to buy food. We could of course go to the Methodist Church-run Whitechapel Mission for a breakfast for 50p, but we were barred by the minister’s wife on 18 June due to concerns about our safety. Last weekend we faced a similar situation but had enough for the bus and spent part of the weekend in the West End (where there can be a free food drop on the Strand on a Friday night 8.30-10.00pm, and at Lincoln's In Fields on a Saturday night 6.00-7.00pm).

The only reasonable explanation for the police executing a perfect U-turn at full speed (I have been begging in the train station since 11 September without difficulty), is clearly that Declan's petition to the UN in support of research cloning of embryos and stem cells could very well take us and NAC off the street.

Since in the UK police can detain somebody without charge for up to 28 days, I will be taking the opportunity to come out a size 0 and will begin a hunger strike: I am familiar with non-cooperation techniques. As for Declan, he tells me that the police are going to discover that on his own he is not such a soft target after all. If I have to beg tomorrow morning, by the way, I will have all my bags with me so Declan is not a sitting duck while I am in custody.

This is Declan's email this morning to the ShortList circulation director:

Subject: ShortList

Dear Mr Moreton,

Further to our telephone conversation this morning, I wish to reconfirm the takeover this morning of my wife's Big Issue pitch at The George Pub, Liverpool Street by a street distributor of ShortList.

I also reconfirm that I am in receipt of a letter of 10 September from Dr John Bird, Founder and Editor-In-Chief of The Big Issue, stating:


I have employed many people over the years to do jobs related to the running of The Big Issue. I have never employed them to do my job; likewise I do not do their job. Please bear this in mind when you are composing your letters. You do not need to address your letters to me, as it is not my job. I would only get involved if you were utterly and totally let down by those whose job it is in The Big Issue. I hope this assists in your deliberations in pursuit of your claims.


Yours sincerely,
Declan Heavey
BI badge no. 1163

cc  Mr Mike Soutar, CEO, ShortList Media (by registered post)
Mr Paul Joseph, Outreach Manager, The Big Issue (by email)