Saturday, January 26, 2008

Declan’s Google Mail is raided

This afternoon, while Declan and I were waiting in the Idea Store Whitechapel library for my next booked computer, his Google Mail was raided: the first email that appeared in the inbox is dated 12 August 2007, and I also had about 250 lists of scientists, each one containing 10 names and emails, wiped. Declan has written to Google’s chief executive, Dr Eric Schmidt, stating: “… this afternoon between 3.15pm and 3.30pm, while I had no access to a computer, all my draft documents (over 300) were lost, along with all emails sent to me since 12 August 2007”. I have since found out that, through the search facility, emails sent to Declan can still be found, although it would seem that all my drafts are well gone.

Declan also states in this email to Dr Schmidt: “On 9 January 2008, I drew to your attention that from 9.15am to 11.15am I was unable to access my Google Mail at dheavey@gmail.com. I was however able to access my wife's account at lola40@gmail.com”. The problem is that not owning a laptop, I am forced to keep all emails in Google Mail, despite knowing I am a sitting duck. We are of course concerned that Declan’s petition to the UN, which has already been signed by 280 scientists, including 21 Nobel laureates, could be seriously targeted next, despite us having a print of all the signatories.