Thursday, July 02, 2009

Police close Declan's assault case

Unbelievable! Today Declan heard back from Detective Sergeant Andrew Gattase of Limehouse police station, who was dealing with the assault on him in our local Internet cafe on Saturday night. DS Gattase refers to some incident that never occurred (“the contact made on the stairwell with your shoulder”; at total variance with what Declan actually reported, see previous blog), which he says he has deemed to be an accident and that he has closed the report. In this email to Declan, DS Gattase actually verifies that Declan was the victim of a full blown assault (he says: “In order to be an assault it must be intentional or reckless application of force more than what is normal or reasonable”):

Subject: Crime Ref. 4215223/09

In reply, to your questions raised.

Unfortunately the incident focused upon, I must reiterate and sympathise with your frustrations however based on the evidence documented within the CRIS report, and the contact made on the stairwell with your shoulder, I have had to evaluate and assess whether there would be sufficient evidence to show what occurred amounted to an assault and not a mere accident.

I must stress this is based on the evidential test.

Having read the report made and looked into the scenario, I have evaluated there would be insufficient evidence to show this was an assault. In order to be an assault it must be intentional or reckless application of force more than what is normal or reasonable. I understand your frustrations but I do not feel there is sufficient evidence to show the incident did in fact amount to an assault.

This does not mean I am believing once party over the other, but have based my decision solely on the evidence and the scenario outlined.

As for the words apparently used this was not part of the same incident as that happened some time in the past. Again this was not reported to anybody at the time.

I suggest if this is happening, possibly you think about notifying the owners of the internet cvafe or using an alternative premises.

Being in the company of the suspect is not an offence, it is what goes on and if criminal offences are committed then you have the right to report them to police.

In relation to your report filed it will remain on file in the event of escalation and can be re-visited to assist future offences but at this stage I respectfully submit there is insufficient evidence to proceed and I have closed the report.

Yours Sincerely
DS Andrew GATTASE

DS Gattase suggests that perhaps we should use an “alternative premises”. As I stated in the previous blog, the internet cafĂ© in question is the only place around in which I can install a program so I can upload pages to the NAC website – I should be able to log in to my SiteGround account with my username and password but I am blocked from doing so (see blog of 9 May “SiteGround confirms our website has been hacked”). This is the email from Declan yesterday that the detective sergeant replied to:

Subject: Crime Ref. 4215223/09

Dear DS Gattase,

I have yet to be summoned by you to give a statement in this case, and I have no way of knowing if this is because the case has been struck out by you for some reason. However, I once again find myself in the company of the suspect at Telecall Internet cafe - for the second time today and the third time since being assaulted by him on the premises on Saturday, 27 June. I do appreciate that I have asked you this question on the two previous occasions I have found myself in the company of the suspect in this Internet cafe, but, without having received a reply and not having had my statement taken, could you please advise if I can phone 999 immediately to have him arrested on the premises?

Yours sincerely,
Declan Heavey

I am still in disbelief.