Saturday, January 22, 2011

What has Facebook done with our IP addresses?

This afternoon I had to go to the local internet cafe to get a Facebook page for Network for Church Monitoring, now a registered company (see blog of 17 January Companies House refuses to register NAC: "Offensive company name"). I tried at our flat with both my laptop and Declan's notebook but was prevented from doing so: Facebook kept asking me to provide a response for their security check without providing me the security check to respond to! I tried with all my browsers and even deleted my browsers' history, but to no avail. What has Facebook done with our IP addresses?

Declan will write to our MP, Lynne Featherstone, a minister in the Home Office, to inquire if Facebook has been given some sort of instruction with respect to our IP addresses (see blog of 19 January Manager of A4E Camden tries it out ... again!; in this blog I publish a letter from Featherstone confirming that she has written to the Home Secretary regarding the unlawful violation of our basic right to send and receive email without interference.) Only this month the US Department of Justice sent subpoenas to Google, Facebook and Twitter demanding that they hand over information on those closely associated with WikiLeaks. It was Twitter that broke the story. Rop Gonggrijp, one of WikiLeaks' associates praised Twitter, stating: "Heaven knows how many places have received similar subpoenas and just quietly submitted all they had on me".

My laptop (click to enlarge)

Declan's notebook (click to enlarge)

Local internet cafe (click to enlarge)