Saturday, August 16, 2008

Letter to the European Court of Human Rights

This afternoon Declan wrote to the Registrar of the European Court of Human Rights following his receipt of an email from The Big Issue Head Office - The Big Issue is a magazine sold by homeless people on registered street pitches - threatening that I will be debadged should I be forced into begging, a criminal offence in England. Of course, I have been forced to beg before (see, for example, blog of 20 January "Begging for over a week"), and it sure looks like that is where I am heading now: since Wednesday, as I have been attempting to sell Big Issues on my pitch, a rough sleeper has been harassing me and selling Big Issues close by (see previous blog for Declan’s formal complaint to The Big Issue). This guy seems so motivated that yesterday Declan went to the police, although he was informed that no crime had been committed.

On my part, I have kept busy emailing scientists and academics inviting them to sign Declan’s petition to the UN supporting therapeutic cloning and the use of stem cells for research and for the treatment of disease. On Wednesday some emails didn’t end up in spam: out of 57 emails, I received 11 out-of-office autoreplies (as I explained in the blog of 2 August "I am urinated on in the porch", the number of out-of-office autoreplies is my best indication as to whether Declan's emails are going to inboxes or spam: two or three autoreplies within a batch of 10 would be a good indicator of the former). Eight autoreplies came within 16 emails and clearly something got through because we got one signature. On Thursday I wasn’t so fortunate: 121 emails and only 11 autoreplies – of course, no one signed. All these emails went to scientists in Newcastle University: 46 to the School of Biology; 43 to the School of Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials; and 32 to the School of Chemistry – I was going to get names and email addresses in Biomedicine today but computers in our local council's Idea Store Whitechapel library are once again down for the day. Incidentally, we now have 11 signatories from Newcastle University; in total 522 signatories, including 23 Nobel laureates.

University of OxfordUniversity of Oxford

On Friday, I tried my luck with the University of Oxford’s Medical Sciences Division – ranked by The Times third in the world for Biomedicine in 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007. I sent 87 emails and again only got 11 autoreplies; emails that I sent to the University’s Sir William Dunn School of Pathology yielded no autoreplies at all.

Everything indicates that things in the near future will be as austere as they are now - and we will just have to ride them out. The Guardian carried a report on 13 August on the conflict over South Ossetia titled "Plaything of the gods". Journalist Tim Judah, who covers the Balkans for the Economist and wrote "The Serbs: History, Myth and the Destruction of Yugoslavia, and Kosovo: What Everyone Needs to Know", recounts that in 2002, on a trip to Iraqi Kurdistan, few Kurds he met made any secret of their desire not just to achieve independence from Iraq but also to act as a vanguard that would eventually rally Kurds from Iran, Syria, and Turkey into one large Kurdish state. Musa Ali Bakr, the man who was then in charge of refugees in the Kurdish region of Dahuk, explained that if the Iraqi Kurds moved too quickly their neighbours would strangle them by closing the borders. He then summed up with what for Judah then was the Kurdish dilemma, but he now realises is really the dictum of all successful separatists: "If you are sick, you visit the doctor. He prescribes the medicine. You take a spoonful three times a day and eventually you are better, you are free. However, if you drank the whole bottle all at once, it would kill you."

For the record, this is the email letter Declan sent this afternoon to Registrar Erik Fribergh of the European Court (Erik.Fribergh@echr.coe.int)

Subject: Heavey v. the United Kingdom (Application no. 22541/07)

Dear Mr Fribergh

I refer to my second request for priority of 4 July 2008 under Rule 41 of the Rules of Court, which, under "Necessity of Expedition", states as follows:


An urgent expedition is necessary in this instance because of the violations of the applicant's human rights already existing and are likely to be even greater. The right that has been violated is the right to private and family life as established under Article 8 by the applicant being assaulted in the porch he shares with his wife, having been robbed of all their money and documents, and his concern that his wife may be forced into begging.


In respect of my wife being forced into begging, please find enclosed copy of my email letter and attachment of 15 August to The Big Issue Outreach Manager for London, Mr Paul Joseph.

As explained in previous applications, my wife and I survive on the streets of London by selling The Big Issue, a magazine sold by homeless people on registered street pitches, and I have lodged numerous written complaints with The Big Issue Head Office in respect of my wife and myself being walked off our respective pitch by other street traders, including, inter alia, Big Issue vendors. The Court will note from the attached correspondence that not only may my wife be forced into begging (a criminal offence in England), but she has been threatened by The Big Issue with debadging for so doing.

I can confirm that on 15 August a copy of the attached correspondence was filed as part of a City of London Police intelligence report on Big Issue vendor 4012 (on 14 August, Mr Joseph wrote: "This vendor now has an out of date badge, and he will not be issued with another one, therefore technically he is debadged"), who has been consistently harassing my wife for the past three days as she has been attempting to sell The Big Issue on her pitch.

In the event of error in transmission, please note that the order of attachments is as follows:

Big Issue 15.8.doc 24kb
Big Issue 13.8 & 14.8.doc 31kb

Yours sincerely
Declan Heavey