Saturday, August 13, 2011

Facebook suspends my account and threatens termination

When I put a link in our About page to Declan’s complaint on Wednesday to the Investigative Powers Tribunal (IPT) regarding the interception of our communications and unlawful directed surveillance (see previous blog), little did I know that three days later I would be adding Facebook to the paragraph. Without cause or warning, Facebook has informed me this evening that I have been posting spam and irrelevant content on FB Pages and therefore my ability to post on Page walls has been suspended for 15 days. They add that if I continue to post 'spam' after this block has been lifted, my account could be permanently disabled.

For a start, I have hardly been on Facebook of late because we lost our home internet connection for over a month. Since 4 July through to today, whenever I have accessed Facebook, it has only been for a few minutes at a time and only to keep my wall and the N4CM wall ticking over. Moreover, I only post on Page walls articles I publish on our site – for example, on Thursday I posted Church Shaken by Sexual Abuse Allegations in Africa, which has been recommended by 393 people – and never to friends' walls but to relevant groups and organisations. Seconds before Facebook took me out, I posted The Hungry Planet: Global Food Scarcity in the 21st Century to the US organisation Population Connection. What spam and irrelevant content?

Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge

I have just sent a quick email to our live-in landlady Belinda McKenzie to remind her again that when she gives us a new tenancy agreement for signing, she doesn’t forget to backdate it to 26 July. We wouldn’t be surprised if next in the queue is Haringey Council looking for our rental agreement to continue paying Belinda her rent. Declan's application to the IPT carries two photographs of MI5 whistleblower David Shayler, who lived for a couple of years in one of the rooms below us, until 2007 more or less. According to the BBC, Shayler “caused the biggest crisis of official secrecy since the spy catcher affair”. By around 2007, he had been successfully neutralised: he changed his name to Delores Kane, declared himself to be Jesus, and became a squatter.  Here's a more recent photograph:



It also turns out that we were right to be concerned about our 'sign on' last Thursday in our jobcentre, Highgate Jobcentre Plus. They have lined us up for a one hour interview on Thursday week to take another shot at our contractual agreements with the Department for Work and Pensions, which we have always far exceeded. Between one thing and another, we have decided that on Monday we are kicking off our fundraising campaign by sending a Letter of Inquiry to philanthropic foundations for a general support grant. We have no choice really, if we don't want to be put back on the street. It never rains but it pours.