Friday, September 09, 2011

My IP is blocked by the web host for the third time


Within less than two weeks of Declan’s dispatch on 10 August of his application above to the Investigatory Powers Tribunal (IPT) regarding the interception of our communications and unlawful directed surveillance, our web host SiteGround twice blocked my IP address (see blog here) – in addition, within the same period, Facebook disabled my account (see blog here); our live-in landlady, human rights activist Belinda McKenzie, served us with five months notice to vacate what has been our home since 2009 (see blog here); and Haringey Council left us with an unprecedented £77 shortfall in rent to pay (see blog here). This afternoon SiteGround blocked my IP for the third time, meaning my browser wasn’t able to access the site at all.

As Declan wrote in paragraph 12 of his application to the IPT, our chairman, Dr Stephen Mumford, has been funding the N4CM website since December 2010, after the site was removed from the internet without explanation by Just Host, a web hosting provider we had paid for hosting until 2015. According to SiteGround this evening, there have been “a large number of simultaneous connections towards the server”, when in fact, as I informed them this afternoon, they have had me restricted to one tab for over two weeks:
Click to enlarge

It’s not just SiteGround. Facebook now threatens to permanently disable my account the next time I post on a Facebook page with similar interests (see blog here). Because of this threat, I have not been posting on Facebook pages with similar interests. Nonetheless, “Exposing religious fundamentalism in the US”, which I uploaded two days ago, has been shared around Facebook 102 times, but according to the Facebook widget they recommend to webmasters to let people know what postings are currently popular, it has been shared 70 times. “Goodbye to All That: Reflections of a GOP Operative Who Left the Cult” has been shared 115 times, but according to the Facebook widget, it has only been shared 85 times. And “Inside the Christian Right Dominionist Movement That’s Undermining Democracy”, which has been shared in Facebook 198 times, Facebook says has only been shared 43 times. (Here is an article that has been shared over 1,000 times.)
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge

So my work on N4CM has been decimated, Facebook is effectively barring me from posting on Facebook pages with similar interests, and now there would appear to be an attempt to make N4CM seem less popular than it is. What's next?