Sunday, August 19, 2018

Declan requests the support of the Mayor of London's St Mungo's service to secure his voluntary position with children and adults with learning disabilities

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan.

Heavey v St Mungo's (2016)

St Mungo's Executive Director Dominic Williamson successfully had Declan's claim for £400 (in costs alone) dismissed by writing in a Witness Statement to the Central London County Court that St Mungo's were "keen to work with Mr Heavey to ensure that he remains securely housed and does not face homelessness again". (He also maintained and argued the point in two court hearings before two different District Court judges.) It took the scheduling of a preliminary hearing in October 2016 to have case notes from two meetings rectified by Williamson as Declan had requested all along; and that rectification only took place after a failed attempt by an international firm of solicitors, Osborne Clarke, to have Declan's claim struck out on the papers. The judge at the preliminary hearing dismissed St Mungo's application to strike out Declan's claim for compensation, and District Judge Avent's order dated 11 March 2017 does not state why he dismissed the claim.

20 February 2017: The Central London County Court: District Judge Avent dismisses Declan's claim against the Greater London Authority-commissioned St Mungo's that alleged the falsification and fabrication of data against us (WITH UPDATE 16/3/2017)

Dominic Williamson
Executive Director
St Mungo's

Address removed for email


19 August 2018

Dear Mr Williamson,

Further to my email of 13 August, please find below my UK Athletics (UKA) Stage 1 complaint about my UKA Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. I am waiting for UKA Complaints to respond to my complaint.

I am a former physical education teacher, who has taught in one of Ireland's top schools (Glenstal Abbey). Last June I qualified as an assistant coach with UKA. I have been spectating at XXX twice a week since 13 June with a view to becoming a volunteer assistant coach at the club.

XXX works in partnership with XXX, and is affiliated to Special Olympics GB. However, my Enhanced DBS certificate, which I received on 16 August, only clearly allows me to work with children because it says clearance to work with adults was "not requested".

Nowhere in my UKA DBS application did I specify children alone. XXX caters for adults with learning disabilities as well as children. Age: 8-25.

This means that my voluntary position at XXX is currently at risk. I therefore once again urgently request that St Mungo's provide me with a 'like-for-like' Tenancy Sustainment Team North Case Worker or TST Worker (i.e., such as my wife was assigned last June) in order to discuss with me the possibilities around securing my voluntary position at the club until it has been secured.

It is noteworthy that I had to request an Escalation with the Metropolitan Police before finally receiving my enhanced certificate 77 days after UKA sent my application to the DBS for checking. The Enhanced DBS process can take 21 days or less, according to UKA.

XXX reconvenes on 12 September after a holiday break. Any further delay in providing me with a like-for-like TST Worker might well prove fatal to my chances of securing my voluntary position at the club and have serious consequences in the long run.

Yours sincerely,

Declan Heavey
Managing Director
Network for Church Monitoring

17 August (my previous blog post): UK Athletics: Has UKA Welfare cost Declan his voluntary position with children and adults with learning disabilities? (WITH UPDATE 18/8/2018)